Facts about the Nipah virus
• According to WHO, the Nipah virus infection is a newly emerging zoonosis, that is, a disease transmitted from animals to humans.
• The virus belongs to a new genus termed Henipavirus (subfamily Paramyxovirinae).
• The symptoms of Nipah are similar to that of influenza: fever, muscle pain, and respiratory problems.
• The Nipah virus has so far lead to 3 deaths in Kerala.
First person to be put on no-fly list
• Birju Salla, who created a hijack scare onboard a Jet Airways flight in 2017, has become the 1st person to be put on the “National No Fly List”.
• He has been banned from flying under highest level of onboard unruly behaviour that entails grounding from 2 years to lifetime.
• A person put on the no-fly list can’t fly by any flight of that airline, international or domestic, for grounded period.
Venezuela’s Maduro won presidential vote
• Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro won a new six-year term in what is being seen as a controversial vote.
• Country’s main opposition coalition, Democratic Unity Roundtable, had boycotted the election.
• The two most popular opposition leaders, Henrique Capriles and Leopoldo Lopez, were barred from running in the vote.
• Several democratic countries have rejected to recognize the vote.
Pawan Singh named RTS Jury chief
• India’s former shooter & national coach Pawan Singh has been appointed as the Chairman of Result Timing Score Jury by the International Shooting Sports Federation for the ISSF World Cup in Munich.
• With this appointment, Singh became the first Indian to chair the RTS Jury at a senior World Cup.
• He would be responsible to resolve any score related issue and provide an accurate result on time.
Bhosle to be conferred with Banga Bibhushan
• Asha Bhosle will be conferred with the highest civilian award of West Bengal, the Banga Bibhushan, by the Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
• She has done playback singing for over a thousand Bollywood movies & has sung in over 20 Indian & foreign languages.
• Bengal government in 2011 instituted Banga Bibhushan award to recognize the services of eminent personalities from their respective fields.
Messi won European Golden Shoe
• Barcelona striker Lionel Messi has won his 5th European Golden Shoe after his team defeated Real Sociedad in their final La Liga match of the season.
• Messi won the award with 34 goals, for a total of 68 points during the 2017-18 season.
• Messi is the only player to have won the European Golden Shoe 5 times.
• 4-time winner Cristiano Ronaldo finished 9th after scoring 26 goals for Real Madrid.
BoB launched MSME factory in Gurgaon
• Bank of Baroda has launched its first integrated SME Loan Factory in Gurgaon to cater the needs of MSME segment in NCR.
• It will function as a One Stop Shop’ for MSME customers and will provide end to end solutions viz. acquisition, processing, disbursement & relationship management.
• BoB has also decided to centralize Government Sponsored Schemes loan processing at the district level.
India test-fired BrahMos supersonic cruise
• India has successfully test-fired the Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from a test range along the Odisha coast.
• Trial was conducted to validate its “life extension” technologies developed for the first time in India by DRDO and team BrahMos.
• The successful test will result in huge savings of replacement cost of missiles held in the inventory of the Armed Forces.
Artificial Intelligence in defence forces
• India has decided to include Artificial Intelligence in its defence forces with an aim to enhance the operational preparedness of the armed forces.
• A task force has been set up under the chairmanship of N. Chandrasekaran to finalise the specifics & framework of the project.
• Major countries like Russia, US & China are taking steps to ensure that their defence systems are fully empowered by AI
1st international football tournament in Iraq
• Iraq will host a West Asia Football Federation championship in Basra in November 2018, the first international tournament to be staged in the country since the 1990s.
• Iraq has not played competitive internationals on home turf since its 1990 invasion of Kuwait.
• In March 2018, FIFA decided to lift a 30-year-old ban from Iraq on hosting the international football.
Nadal won 8th Rome Masters 2018
• Rafael Nadal won the Rome Masters for the 8th time after he defeated the defending champion Alexander Zverev 6-1, 1-6, 6-3 in the finals.
• The win is Nadal’s 78th ATP Tour title and takes him clear of John McEnroe into 4th place in the list of most men’s titles won in the Open era.
• The victory means Nadal will reclaim the Number 1 ranking from Federer.
South Korea won Asian Champions Trophy 2018
• Defending champions Indian Women’s Hockey Team lost to hosts South Korea 0-1 in the final match of the Women’s Asian Champions Trophy 2018.
• The win for South Korea saw them lift the title for the third time after having won in the 2010 and 2011 editions of the tournaments.
• India’s Vandana Katariya was declared the player of the tournament.