World Wildlife Day 2018 celebrated
• On 20 December 2013, at its 68th session, the UN General Assembly proclaimed 3 March – the day of signature of the CITES as UN World Wildlife Day.
• This day was proclaimed to celebrate and raise awareness of the world’s wild animals and plants.
• The theme for World Wildlife Day 2018 is ‘Big Cats’.
World’s first hand-painted film eyes an Oscar
• ‘Loving Vincent’ is the world’s first animated feature film entirely painted by hand.
• With 65,000 frames to be exact, all paintings are in the distinct style of Dutch Post-Impressionist painter Vincent Van Gogh.
• The film is based on a probe into Van Gogh’s untimely death.
• Shot with a shoe-string budget of 5.5 million dollars, Loving Vincent was made with the help of 125 artists.
NASA finds water on Saturn-mass planet
• Using NASA’s Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes, astronomers have found evidence of water in the atmosphere of a Saturn-mass exoplanet some 700 light-years away.
• The planet, WASP-39b, has three times as much water as Saturn does, which suggests it developed far away from its host star, where it was bombarded by a lot of icy material, said NASA.
Russia, China to create joint data centre
• Russia and China have agreed to set up a joint data centre for lunar and deep space projects, Russian space agency Roscosmos said.
• The Russian agency and China National Space Administration will look into possibilities of providing assistance to each other’s lunar programmes.
• Last year, the two agencies had agreed on a bilateral cooperation programme, including research on the moon.
BJP won Tripura for 1st time
• The BJP defeated the CPI(M) in Tripura to form the state government for the first-ever time after winning 35 seats.
• The CPI(M), which ruled the state for 25 years, reportedly won 16 seats in the 60-member Assembly with 43% vote share.
• BJP-ally Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura (IPFT) won 8 seats after fielding candidates in 9 constituencies.
IDBI Bank cuts stake in Punjab Alkalies
• IDBI Bank has cut its stake In Punjab Alkalies & Chemicals (PAC).
• In 2018 so far, IDBI Bank has sold 18.11 lakh shares of PAC.
• Recently on February 28, IDBI sold 9.65 lakh shares at an average price of ?25.35 and the shares were bought by Dayawati Dahiya.
• At the end of December 2017, IDBI Bank was holding 47.10 lakh shares, or 17.35%n stake in PAC.
India won Snooker Team World Cup
• India defeated Pakistan in the inaugural IBSF Snooker Team World Cup in Doha.
• The Indian combine of Pankaj Advani and Manan Chandra came back from 0-2 down in the best-of-five final to clinch it with a margin of 3-2.
• The Indian team was awarded $15,000 (nearly ?10 lakh) for winning the tournament.
Namaste Shalom, a magazine launched
• Dr Jitendra Singh launched the social media of “Namaste Shalom”, a magazine devoted to India-Israel relations.
• The festive occasion of Holi coincided with the Jewish festival of Purim.
• The magazine is edited by former MP Shri Tarun Vijay.
• Israeli Ambassador to India, Mr. Daniel Carmon and other dignitaries were also present.
Shatrughan won lifetime achievement award
• Shatrughan Sinha has been honoured with a lifetime achievement award for his contribution to the fields of arts and politics.
• He was awarded at a ceremony in the UK’s Parliament complex in London.
• The annual ‘Political and Public Life Awards’, now in its 12th year, recognize individuals who have made a significant impact on public life or made a difference in their local communities.
India and Vietnam inked three pacts.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang also vowed to expand bilateral cooperation in several key sectors, including defence, oil and gas, and agriculture.
• The three pacts signed after the talks between the two leaders would provide for cooperation in areas of nuclear energy, trade and agriculture.