The Shape of Water won best picture award
• The Shape of Water has won the Oscar for best picture at the 90th Academy Awards.
• The Shape of Water is American fantasy drama film directed by Guillermo del Toro and written by del Toro and Vanessa Taylor.
• Set in Baltimore in 1962, the plot follows a mute custodian at a high-security government laboratory who falls in love with a captured humanoid-amphibian creature.
Other Oscar Awards Winners List:
Director: Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water”
Actor: Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
Actress: Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Supporting Actress: Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
Original Screenplay: “Get Out”
Adapted Screenplay: “Call Me by Your Name”
Foreign Language Film: “A Fantastic Woman”
Animated Feature: “Coco”
Visual Effects: “Blade Runner 2049”
Film Editing: “Dunkirk”
Animated Short: “Dear Basketball”
Live Action Short: “The Silent Child”
Documentary Short: “Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405”
Score: “The Shape of Water”
Song: “Remember Me” from “Coco”
Production Design: “The Shape of Water”
Cinematography: “Blade Runner 2049”
Costume Design: “Phantom Thread”
Makeup and Hairstyling: “Darkest Hour”
Documentary Feature: “Icarus”
Sound Editing: “Dunkirk”
Sound Mixing: “Dunkirk”
Odisha launches ‘Ama Gaon, Ama Vikas’ prog
• Odisha has launched a Ama Gaon, Ama Vikas (Our Village, our development) to reach out to the people in rural areas and involve themselves in the developmental activities.
• CM flagged off wi-fi enabled mobile video wall vans through which people can send their grievances directly to the CM’s office.
• With this initiative the administration will solve the the grievances of the people quickly.
China sets 2018 GDP target at around 6.5%
• China has set its GDP growth target at around 6.5% for 2018, unchanged from that for 2017.
• The projected growth rate reflects China’s position of not over-emphasizing speed but stressing improvements in the quality and effect of development.
• Chinese economy outperformed its annual growth target by expanding 6.9 percent last year, picking up for the first time in seven years.
RBI tightens PSL norms for banks
• RBI has tightened priority sector lending norms for foreign banks by directing them to create sub-targets so that they lend a portion of their loans to small & marginal farmers as well as MSMEs.
• Move is directed at foreign banks with over 20 branches & will come into force from next financial year.
• PSL norms mandate foreign banks to lend 40% of their total loan book to the priority sector.
Smiriti Irani inaugurated FICCI Frame
• Information and Broadcasting Minister Smiriti Irani inaugurated 2018 edition of FICCI Frame in Mumbai.
• This year a maiden edition of Content Market has been added with over 70 buyers for a curated slate of new Indian Films.
• The event will have more than 35 knowledge sessions by experts besides having over 200 high profile speakers from across the world.
Manu Bhaker won Gold at ISSF
• India’s Manu Bhaker won the gold medal in 10 metre Air Pistol Women event at the ISSF World Cup in Guadalajara, Mexico.
• She defeated home-favourite Alejandra Zavala Vazquez by securing 237.5 points to bag top honour at the ongoing event.
• India has so far bagged 4 medals – two gold and two bronze at the event.
Shahzar Rizvi sets world record
• India’s Shahzar Rizvi clinched the gold medal with a world record score in his maiden ISSF World Cup appearance.
• Rizvi shot a world record 242.3 in the 10 metre air pistol event’s final to beat reigning Olympic champion Christian Reitz to win the top prize.
• The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup 2018 is being held at Guadalajara in Mexico.
Conrad Sangma to be next CM of Meghalaya
• National People’s Party (NPP) President Conrad Sangma will be the new chief minister of Meghalaya.
• NPP came out as the second largest party with 19 seats in the recently held elections which threw a hung verdict.
• Sarma has informed that there will be no deputy chief minister in the new government.
• He will replace congress leader Mukul Sangma.
Merkel secures fourth term in power
• Angela Merkel has secured her 4th term in power after Social Democratic party agreed to form another “grand coalition” govt with conservative Christian Democratic Union.
• The decision ends almost 6 months of political uncertainty in Germany, the longest time the country has been without a govt in its post-war history.
• The deal will form her third grand coalition during her time as chancellor.
Javed Abidi passes away
• Noted disability rights activist Javed Abidi passed away this afternoon due to chest infection.
• Abidi was the Director of the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People and also the Global Chair of Disabled People International.
• He was involved in several consultations with the government on policies for creating a barrier free environment for all, including the disabled