Sri Lanka declares state of emergency
• Sri Lanka declared a state of emergency for 10 days, to curb heightening violence targeting the island’s Muslim minority.
• The development follows days of anti-Muslim attacks in Kandy, located in Sri Lanka’s Central Province.
• Sri Lanka is the second country in the region to promulgate a state of emergency this year. In February, Maldivian President declared Emergency Rule for a fortnight.
Veteran Actor Shammi Passes Away
• Veteran Bollywood actor, who was fondly called ‘Shammi aunty’ by many in the film fraternity passed away at the age of 89.
• Born as Nargis Rabadi she has appeared in over 100 films.
• She was well-known for her work in television series like Dekh Bhai Dekh, Zabaan Sambhal Ke, and Shriman Shrimati.
• She made her debut in Bollywood at the age of 18 with Ustad Pedro.
International Yoga Festival Held In Rishikesh
• Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the week-long 29th annual, world-famous International Yoga Festival (IYF) in Rishikesh’s Parmarth Niketan.
• The IYF offers daily classes from 4 a.m. until 9:30 p.m. with more than 80 revered saints, yogacharyas, presenters and experts from nearly 20 countries around the world.
Indian Military Ranked 4th Strongest In World
• Out of 133 countries, India is ranked fourth on a global index for its military strength.
• Only the United States, Russia and China are ranked above India on the list, according to the latest report of the Global Firepower index 2017.
• India maintained its position above France in the top five military powers in the world.
Biplab Deb to be Tripura’s Chief Minister
• The Bharatiya Janata Party has named the party’ State president Biplab Kumar Deb as the chief ministerial candidate for Tripura.
• Jishnu Devvarma, a member of the royal family there, has been named for Deputy Chief Minister.
• Mr. Deb will soon meet Governor Tathagata Roy to stake claim. The swearing-in ceremony is likely to be held on March 8.
India’s child marriage numbers drop sharply
• The proportion of girls getting married in India has nearly halved in a decade, the UN children’s agency UNICEF said.
• UNICEF said 25 million child marriages were prevented worldwide in the last decade, with the largest reduction seen in South Asia.
• Currently, 27% of girls, or nearly 1.5 million girls, get married before they turn 18 in India. This is a sharp decline from 47% a decade ago.
Rashid became Youngest captain
• The leg-spinner from Afghanistan, Rashid Khan (19-year-old) has become the youngest captain in international cricket history.
• He now holds the ICC No. 1 rank for bowlers in both the ODIs and T20Is and also became the youngest player ever to hold the top spot for any form of ICC men’s ranking.
• England’s Arran Bindle is the youngest woman player at the age of 19 years.
Karnataka Unveils ‘Arogya Karnataka’
• Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah unveiled a healthcare scheme named ‘Arogya Karnataka’ aimed at benefitting about 1.43 crore households in the state.
• It will provide quality primary, secondary and tertiary treatment to both BPL and above-poverty-line (APL) families in the state.
• Through the scheme, all the BPL households will get free treatment at government hospitals while for APL households.