What are you talking about?
· India’s home made drone, which was developed on the lines of predator drones of the United States, Rustom – 2 was successfully tested on 25th February, 2018
· Rustom – 2 is a medium altitude, long endurance Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
· The test was conducted at the Aeronautical Test Range at Chalakere in Chitradurga district
Who designed it?
· Rustom – 2 is designed and developed by the Aeronautical Development Establishment of the DRDO.
· Hindustan Aeronautical Ltd and Bharat Electronics Ltd are its production partners
What are the purpose and objective behind making this?
· Modern warfare is heavily dependent on drones and India deployed its imported drones effectively during the surgical strikes it carried across the Line of Control in Pakistan in September, 2016
· Rustom-2 has the capability to replace the precision drones imported from the United States of America and Israel
· The objective of the Rustom – 2 is to carry out surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) roles for the armed forces with an endurance of 24 hours
What can it do?
· It is capable of carrying different combinations of payloads like synthetic aperture radar, electronic intelligence systems and situational awareness payload
· It can carry up to a payload of 350Kgs
Why has this UAV making rounds in the NEWS?
· Due to the fact that this is the first flight in user configuration with higher power engine
Tit – Bits:
• The UAV is named after Professor Rustom Damania, under whose leadership National Aerospace Laboratories’ Light Canard Research Aircraft (LCRA) was developed, which later became the base for RUSTOM.
• The INR 1,500-crore UAV project was initiated considering requirement of the Army, Navy and the Air Force
• RUSTOM will replace/supplement the Heron UAVs in service with the Indian armed forces
• RUSTOM was developed in three variants – RUSTOM – 1, RUSTOM – H, and RUSTOM – 2
• RUSTOM – 2 was developed on the base of RUSTOM – H, the latter being a larger UAV and the former an unmanned combat air vehicle, both having endurance of 24 hours
• RUSTOM – 1 was a tactical UAV with endurance of 12 hours
• RUSTOM – 1 was first tested the Taneja Aerospace Air Field near Hosur on 16 November 2006 (result: the prototype crashed to the ground)